Pickled Celery, saving celery from the compost heap.

Celery is a necessary ingredient to have on hand for many culinary applications. There aren't really any substitutes, however I often find that my celery has gone bad before I have used all of it. I hate buying food just to see it thrown in the garbage/compost. How to save food from going bad? Pickle IT!  Pickled celery is amazingly delicious. Highly addictive, and super easy.  So now when I have celery on hand with no plans of making stock or soup on the horizon. I simply chop it on the bias and pickle it. It is magical.
This recipe came to be last summer when I was reading the Momofuku cookbook. I found the quick pickling section very interesting so I tried a few of the recipes but the results were ehh nothing special.  I liked the rice vinegar sugar mix but decided it was missing some kick. I decided on chili garlic paste, as it is one of my favorite condiments. Here are all the ingredients you will need to make pickled celery.
Sugar, Rice vinegar, celery, chili garlic, water
Recipe(makes one quart jar)

1 cup water
1 cup rice vinegar
6 tbls sugar
2 1/4 tsp kosher salt
4 tsp chili garlic paste

Just cut celery on bias( the bias is important so it is not stringy), stuff in a quart jar, measure the rest of ingredients heat up to dissolve sugar, pour over celery. Let sit in fridge at least overnight, 2 days is best.

Comments

Popular Posts