New Ice Cream Book, Best EVER!


 My new ice cream maker arrived a few days ago, along with my new favorite cookbook.  Ice Cream! The Whole Scoop by Gail Damerow.  This book not only gives you a lot of great recipes for ice cream, but gives you loads of information on how making ice cream works so you can create your own recipes without fear of failure.  There is a large section of non dairy ice creams made from rice and soy.  Gail even tells us how to make our own rice milk to use in the making of ice creams.  I have never been excited about vegan ice cream, however I really want to try the rice milk recipe.  Enough about how much this book rocks.



As you know from religiously reading my blog I had a half case of Colorado peaches on hand that I needed to use.  So I made Honey Peach Ice Cream adapting a recipe from The Whole Scoop.  This is probably the best ice cream I have made so far.  The honey is the predominate flavor with the peach taking the supporting roll of making the honey more complex.  It is sooo good!

The Cuisinart worked beautifully.  My favorite part was being able to watch the ice cream freezing, because the top of the machine is open.  You can even snag a taste with a spoon!  With my old school ice cream churner, I would just guess when it was done by how hard it was to crank.  The only problem I encountered was I think I added to much mix because the ice cream started spilling up over the side of the canister when it was almost done.  So the Cuisinart is going to be for smaller batches, and the trusty Rival for larger batches.
The rest of the peaches I turned into Peach Vanilla Bean Jam.  Here they are together.



The recipe for the jam was inspired by this post for Vanilla Peach Jam.   But of course I ended up changing the recipe slightly.  It turned out beautifully.  So yummy. So here are the Recipes:

Honey Peach Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups cream
1 cup of milk
1 1/2 cups peach puree
1/3 cup honey

Mix and freeze in ice cream maker.

Peach Vanilla Bean Jam

8 cups chopped peaches skins and pits removed
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out (use the seed too of course)
Juice of one lemon

Combine all ingredients in large wide pot.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmmer stirring occasionally until thick and jammy.  Can and process for 15 minutes.

If anyone has any questions about the recipes, please leave a comment, and I will clarify.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts