Ice Cream Mania


I have become fascinated with making ice cream this last month of summer. I have been hand churning flavors with salt and ice, researching the best recipes on the web, and encouraging my family to eat more ice cream. The need to churn out more flavors has led me to purchase a new ice cream maker. The kind that you freeze the bowl and don't need lots of salt and ice.

The convenience will be nice, I am eager to see if there is a difference in quality. Which will be better hand cranked or the cool technology of the Cuisinart ICE-21. Stay tuned for the results. I am expecting my delivery any moment now. I am not going to get rid of my old fashioned hand crank ice cream maker. I like doing things the hard way sometimes. Also it also has the advantage of doing multiple batches without having to wait for the bowl to refreeze. Another advantage is it doesn't require electricity, in case of a power outage or a need to make ice cream in the woods. You never know.
I have taken to daydreaming about making ice cream and I have created a whole new career for myself where I have an ice cream cart and make and sell ice cream all summer. My husband will bake cookies for ice cream sandwiches. And I will do demos making ice cream in seconds with liquid nitrogen. In the winter I will sell coco and coffee and do research for the next summers flavors. This fantasy also involves my hit blog and cookbook. So here goes. Phase one. blog blog. Now onto some recipes. No pictures yet.

Recipe

Nutella Dream
This is my absolute favorite to make. It always produces smooth dreamy ice cream

1/2 cup nutella
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Blend nutella, cream and milk in blender until smooth. Sprinkle xanthan over top and blend again. do this quickly before the xanthan starts to thicken. Then freeze in ice cream maker of your choice.

If you don't own an ice cream maker you can make more of a semifreddo style dessert using the same recipe with the addition of 2 oz of booze of your choice, I like Irish whiskey and Frangelico together. Then simply freeze in individual serving dishes. The alcohol will keep it from hardening into a brick.


Coming soon Flavors
Basil
Chocolate Banana
Sesame Honey Lemon
Hibiscis Strawberry
Raspberry Peach (Melba)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts